9.14.2006

She Opened Government to Everyone

At the top of my list of people I'd like to meet one day was former Texas governor Ann Richards. I've always admired her charm, strength, and zest for life. Sadly, she passed away last night after a battle with cancer, and the world is a better place for her having been in it for 73 years.

She was a vibrant, quick-witted spitfire who didn't enter politics until her forties and got her motocycle license at sixty. Before she left office, Richards said, "I did not want my tombstone to read, 'She kept a really clean house.' I think I'd like them to remember me by saying, 'She opened government to everyone.'"

CBSNews.com lists among her accomplishments the fact that "as governor, Richards appointed the first black University of Texas regent, the first crime victim on the state Criminal Justice Board, the first disabled person on the human services board and the first teacher to lead the State Board of Education. Under Richards, the fabled Texas Rangers pinned stars on their first black and female officers."

No comments: