11.17.2006

A Less-Than-3 List (hint: it's on your keyboard)

I've always found comfort in list-making. When I have so much to do I don't know how I will get it done, putting it down on paper at least relieves my mind of the necessity of mentally reciting everything that needs to be done lest I forget something. And the satisfaction of crossing something off is unparalleled.

Sometimes I just like to make lists of things I like. Years before I even got my period, I had a list of names for my future daughter and a list of names for my future son. Trust me, you don't want to know. I was 10 years old so you can imagine the lovely names.

In a moment mixed with creative inspiration and anal-retentiveness, I feel the need to list the bellydancers who I less-than-3 to watch perform. Contrary to the unfortunate (and sometimes true) stereotype of jiggly restaurant dancers taking money in their sequined bras, bellydance is actually a feminist art form that takes a lot of strength and mind-blowing muscle control. It was developed as a dance to honor and support women through pregnancy, with moves designed to build up the muscles used during labor. There are many styles and sub-genres of modern belly dance but as much as I love cabaret, I am partial to tribal fusion.

My Less-Than-3 List:


1. Jill Parker is the founder of Ultra Gypsy and one of the co-founders of American Tribal Style pioneers, fatchancebellydance. She does the most amazing snake arms and has incredible muscle control. Her isolations are incredible, her style is often imitated, and her creativity is unsurpassed.
2. Ansuya blends cabaret and a teeny bit of tribal fusion style bellydance with traditional indian dance moves. Her dance style is beautiful, fluid and mesmerizing.
3. Mira Betz is an incredibly talented dancer with a keen sense of theatrics. She brings a coy playfulness to her dances and even though she refuses to be labelled and I've only seen her dance with tribal style dancers, watching Mira perform reminded me that cabaret ain't so bad, either.
4. Amy Sigil calls her brand of bellydance "hula fusion" and watching her troupe, Unmata, perform leaves you in awe of how fast hips and shoulders can shimmy. Then you go home and look like a fool trying to imitate.

So now you know!

1 comment:

Dani California said...

Do your teachers have any recommendtions for people in DC? I have been shopping around for a new class...