5.21.2007

Hearsay, Relevance, and Business Records

Well, after a hellish couple of months and some crazy interactions with my unprofessional boss who took his vacation while we had a couple of cases up for trial....I had my first trial today. I wasn't lead counsel, so I didn't present the opening argument, or ask the witness questions, or present the evidence, but I did most of the work and all of the research that lay the foundation for our argument. My crazy, newly-tanned boss, who just got back this weekend, wasn't even familiar with the underlying case or any of the case law that set precedent until two days ago, when he read my summaries.

Anyways, while it was not fun having to prep for trial with neither the proper support staff nor guidance, not to mention a lack of proper research tools, presenting the actual trial was invigorating and gave me a shot of much-needed inspiration to continue in my profession. It turned out fine because my first time in trial, I didn't actually have much pressure to perform so I was able to concentrate on everything that was going on and review the proceedings with a critical eye. And it was validating to see my research, arguments, and words make up a strong case. I was also waiting for my first chance to exclaim, "Objection!" but nothing came up that I needed to object to.

2 comments:

Dani California said...

That is so cool! Maybe in the future, you should look into jobs that would give you courtroom experience.

Dash of Saffron said...

bravo! bravo! in the words of ughajahn, "encore! encore!"